The toponym “ PERAFITA” comes from the latin words “pedra Ficta” which etymologically means “pedra- fita” , that is to say, stone put in a place to indicate the limit of a property or piece of land. The name of the village is believed to refer to the existence of some kind of megalith or a stone set to limit properties.
The first news is in 909 when the village is said to be the limit of the parish of Olost, but the church of Saint Pere is not mentioned until the end of 11th century.
Around the year 1300, the population began setting up around this Romanesque church. Perafita expanded quite a lot as time passed by and became a commercial as well as handicraft centre.
In 1686 Perafita had 70 houses and 16 farms, but in the 17th century, during the war of Succesion the village was burned by Count of Montemar who supported the king Felipe. However, the population came back and in 1787 there were already 439 inhabitants; the highest number was in 1860 with 746 inhabitants.
Characteristics of people:
Area: 18.5 Km.
Altitude: 754 m.
Population: 407 inhabitants.
Density: 22 hab/km2.
The village’s most interesting architectonic patrimony:
- The edges of the houses in the village.
- The parish church "Sant Pere".
- Candlemas feast and fair ( 2nd February): the passacaglia has become a tradition in the morning and in the afternoon the healing of the horses in Can Carbó path.
- Main local feast ( 29th June): several activities take place , one of the most expected event is Sant Pere’s football tournament .
- Meeting of Santa Margarita ( third weekend of July).